Friday, November 21, 2008

An interview with the Youth Pastors, Richard & Louisa Evans


Q: Which year did you first attend camp and how many camps have you been to so far?
R: I attended my first Christian camp when I was 8 years old, back in England. My friend had invited me, and i went. But after that, I did not attend any other Camps until I attended FGT's Youth Camp in 2004. This year will be my 5th Youth Camp with FGT.

L: I first attended FGT's Youth Camp in 1989(!) and continued to attend four more Youth Camps until 1993, when I left to study in the UK. I was the (scary) Assistant Camp Commandant for the Camp in 1993.

Q: What are your fond memories about Youth Camp?
R: I felt last year's Youth Camp was really, really good. I really enjoyed all the teaching sessions, the times of ministry, the games and...going for a dip in the sea!
L: For me, Youth Camp is always a time of significant encounter with God. We were "highly spiritual" in those days (hehe) and would wake up at 5am to pray everyday during camp!

Q. What are your hopes for 365 in general in this year's Youth Camp?
(apart from that fire would come down from heaven!!!)
R: That God would 'prime' the new generation. 'Prime' is preparation. It's like when you want to paint a wall you have to 'prime' it first (strip the old paint off and put on an undercoat, or "primer" layer) before actually repainting it. Likewise, I believe there has to be some preparation done amongst us before we will see God really move. I also would like to see a much stronger sense of Community/Fellowship (Koinonia) built up among our young people.

L: I would like everyone to have an encounter with God and hear something from God personally. That God would be real to them, because many have still not had that experience. After an encounter with God, you can't stay the same. People won't give their lives to serve God without a real encounter with God. I believe that God will do something significant for 365 this year.

Q. What do you think of the theme 'Survive, Thrive, Revive'?
R: I love it! It is very appropriate! For the 365, in some sense we have "strived" and "thrived", but we need the spiritual "revival" from God to really take us further. At the end of the day, it's God who is able.

Q. What would you like to tell the campers?
L: People need to come prepared to receive something from God for their spiritual lives. They need to remind themselves that this is 4 solid days with God, and for God, to "allow" Him to do something in their spiritual lives.

R: The camp committee has worked very hard and worked very well this whole year! I particularly like the Camp Blog and I love the Captain Able "cartoons"! Personally I would also love to see many more people sign up for camp over these next couple of weeks...I believe that the camp will be great time and that it would be a great shame for anybody to miss out on what God is about to do!


Samuel

No comments: