Monday, November 10, 2008

Interview with the Seniors (Part 1)

(From left: Uncle Mun Leong and Uncle Kim Hong, in their youth)

The FGT youth camp has been ongoing for many years and it has changed in different ways, yet people remember it for the same reasons. Having been in a few youth camps and now, heading this one, I decided to ask two 'veteran' youth campers about their own personal experiences in all their past years of camp before us. The result was an insightful, interesting reply from them. The following (Part 1) is Uncle Mun Leong's response to the questions we posed them.


1) When was the first youth camp that you went to (year)?

If there is a reward for the most camps that an FGT member has attended, I must say that I would be one of the top few recipients (that would say much about my age - although I'm just a few years older than Grace Eu). My first camp was our first Fgt camp back in 1981 (I know some of you reading this were not even born yet - time flies.) During those times our favourite campsite was in Ringlet, Cameron Highlands. My last Youth Camp was in 1998 and it was held at STM Rahang, Negri Sembilan


2) From all the years that you went to youth camp, what can you remember most clearly that has probably changed your life?

Camps were like altars in my life, altars not meaning idols, but landmarks in my life that changed me. Each camp was like an altar to me, I have "stones' that I keep in remembrance of what God has done in my life. The first camp would probably be the camp that changed my life in terms of my attitude towards God and service to Him, as God challenged me to serve Him faithfully.


3) Any funny/interesting moments? (Any particular incident)

I would say one of the most interesting moments of any camp was the "Banquet Night". Banquet Night was the night when the guys dated the girls out - under the watchful eyes of the leaders! Each couple was determined by drawing lots. How anxious everyone was to find out who their dates were. When we were informed of our dates about an hour before the function, the first shouts were heard from the girls chalet! (Huh talk about boys not controlling themselves). Before we went to the girls' dorm to"date" them out we were coached by our dorm leaders on what to say and do. The aim was exposing our young people to simple etiquette and manners.


For me my highlight would be my very first camp. When we arrived at the campsite and my friends and I were told that we were going to be in the same dorm as Ps Hong Seng, Hock Huat & Yuen Woh, we thought it was going to be a "terrible" camp for us. We thought we needed to be prim and proper but I tell you that we had the most enjoyable time in the dorm as they were the ones who were the jokers, teasers and making a lot of noise in the dorm that makes the whole place fun to be. Even when the lights were out we were talking in whispers, sharing our "deepest secrets". I remember that there was one year when we had no hot water and we had to shower in icy cold water and that was an experience.


4) What were the conditions of the campsites that you went to, and how were the physical environments like?

I must say that in those days the campsite especially Ringlet in Camerons would be about 3-4 star. We stayed in a cosy 3 room chalet - 1 bath & 1 toilet. The meeting hall could easily accommodate up to 90 people. They also had a field where we had our games & telematches. One of the events that we had each year was a picnic at a nearby lake. It is a lovely spot with mountains rising up quite high, a cool, strong breeze, cottages scattered over the hillsides and trees beside the lake swaying with the breeze. The campsite is also a place where we could go for our walks and spend time with God.


5) What would be the highlight of a youth camp, as you knew it back then?

We had fun, good food, and most of all the spiritual food. One highlight for me was that during those times we had to take turns as a group to assist in preparing the meals. (not cooking lah - they have a cook). It fostered better unity among the groups as each group did its best during meal times. We had to also wash up after each meal.

The most important highlight of the camp was listening and studying the Word of God together. We had workshops that helped us to know the Word of God better. Many were challenged afresh to rededicate their lives to God. Many were touched by the presence of God and experiencing tremendous breakthrough in their lives.


6) Why would you encourage the youth today to come to camp?

To build a stronger relationship horizontally (manward) and vertically (Godward). 'Horizontally', because by staying together for the couple of days you not only discover the true colours of your fellow campers but you are able to get to know each other better and develop good friendships and 'Vertically', because through the few days in camp you are able to "concentrate" only on God and allow Him to speak into your life.


7) What makes a good camp?

A good camp planning committee, a heart that is prepared to receive and get ministered, prayer and not forgetting God who is the Lord of every camp.


Thank you, Uncle Mun Leong.




Part 2 (Uncle Kim Hong) will be posted soon.



Abel Cheah


No comments: