Sunday, November 23, 2008

Interview with the Seniors (Part 2)

(From left: Uncle Mun Leong and Uncle Kim Hong, in their youth)


Uncle Kim Hong


1) When was the first youth camp that you went to, and when was the last (year)?
My first camp was in 1981 and the last was ...aiyoh...such a long time ago...cant exactly remember, but I knew it was in STM seremban


2) From all the years that you went to youth camp, what can you remember most clearly that has probably changed your life?

Well, my first camp was the most memorable one.....I still remember that I was in Form 4 and after rededicating my life to Christ in school after my SRP, the next step was to make a stand home. My parents are staunch Taoist believers and being the only son, they would never approve of my decision of accepting Christ. I had planned to break the news to them on the eve of CNY in 1982 as that was the highlight of ancestral worship in my home. As such, during the 1981 camp, the whole camp, especially my dorm was praying for me throughout the camp. The encouragement I got from everyone in camp gave me the confidence to go through with the whole thing. This carried on even after camp and when I finally made a stand at home, I had the comfort of knowing that everyone was there for me and was praying for me. Thats brotherly love man....


3) Any funny/interesting moments? (Any particular incident)
Yup, every camp has its funny moments....I still remembered my first banquet night...1981 camp...being a rookie who has never been to camp, I did not know that we had to dress up.....long sleeve shirt, ties, nice leather shoes and everything else...so I turned up with a pair of pants (not a proper one), short sleeve shirt (quite a flimsy one) and jogging shoes!!....plus a borrowed tie which did not match....and guess who was my date...Pas. Yoke Poh!!..habis!!!...anyway, it went alright....she forgave me....being young, you only think about the food....well...

I also remembered my first fasting camp...yes, we had one and if I am not mistaken, it was in 1985....I came home losing so much weight that my mother could hardly recognize me...anyway, it was a great camp as everyone learnt to get up early to pray (nearly everyday at 530am) and we fasted from all meals for about 4 days...you guys should try it....helps to cut down on camp fees!! ha ha!!!

I also remembered we tied someone up at a tree after games one day as an initiation rite....fun man....he was never the same again....


4) What were the conditions of the campsites that you went to, and how were the physical environments like?
Most of the camps we had those days were in a place called Lakeview Ringlet, Cameron Highland....it was old but comfortable and cold....but not every chalet was like that. I remembered one year, we had one chalet, 2 storey, which we called "the black hole of calcutta" ...not only was it old and very dark at night but everything there does not work. I remember, we had to move everyone from the top chalet to the lower chalet as the top bathroom leaked so badly that whenever someone bathed, soap water would come down like rain. Thank goodness it was just soap water that flowed down and not the sewerage!! ha ha!!!...Generally, the camp site was nice as it had a rustic feel to it. The is a lake which was about 1km away which we usually went for picnics....cant say the same now as my last visit there, it was no longer nice but very muddy. The camp site also had a great place for games but the hall was small...anyway, close fellowship good mah...

The air in Cameron Highlands was fantastic then .....not as good now lah.

The worst one for me was ACS Malacca....we had one camp there and it we lived in this school for a week....the toilets...were not great lah and not only was it hot, we had to light up about 5-6 mosquito coils every night to keep the mossies away. However, we enjoyed the school field as it was big and we could have so many games and activities there.

Then there's STM. STM (Seminari Theoloji Malaysia) was more dormitory style and it was the only camp which saw a separation between the youth and yound adults. STM had a nice hall and cafeteria. Quite an enjoyable place actually....but compared to Cameron Highlands, we missed the cold weather and greenery....

Hey, wherever the camp site is and no matter what the conditions are, God always shows up...


5) What would be the highlight of a youth camp, as you knew it back then?
Well, I would say games plus the morning and night sessions. We usually had telematches plus captain ball and tene coil (quite similar to captain ball). Games were a serious matter then but everyone kept their cool.....relax, relax....even the pastors played....tension eh.....but in games, no friend friend lah, everyone went all out to win....pastor also no give chance man!!!!

Camp was important for many as most of us came wanting to hear from God. As much as it was fun, it was also a serious time for many. Many spent much time alone as well or prayed in groups seeking God for either one thing or another. The hunger for the Word made the morning and night meetings very important to many. We also prayed alot in camp. I guess it's the hallmark of our church ...never leave home forgetting it......


6) Why would you encourage the youth today to come to camp?

I developed great friendships in camp. My good buddy, Mun Leong (you can see him on my Facebook) and me have been friends for such a long time and camp was a place where we really got close. He has been a source of strenghth and encouragement to me and its a great joy for us to see each other grow and mature in the Lord through these years. Godly friends help push you to greater heights in God. Camp is a right place to develop friendships like that

Camp is also a good place to better yourself. Its a place to learn from others, esp. your leaders and pastors as you mature in your christian life. Other than your normal friends, learn to develop good relationships with your leaders and pastors as well....no where better than camp since you will be there for a great number of days. There's also the areas in your life which needs polishing, eg. habits, etc. If your stay long enough with your friends in camp year after year (since camp was a whole week then), you notice things and perhaps learn things about yourself which you never noticed....trust me, it shows...good friends help to correct one another...

Anyway, why not camp? Why not set aside time to meet God, learn His word, develop godly friendships plus have fun all the way? If you think this is boring, then you need help....serious help....


7) What makes a good camp?
Good planning ...of course with more fun programs lah....much prayer......encourage yourself by setting some goals for camp thus personal preparation of going to meet God makes going to camp more exciting....



Thanks to both Uncle Kim Hong and Uncle Mun Leong for their time.

No comments: